Sunday, April 4, 2010

Using childhood inspiration as a "mature" adult...



I highly doubt that I was the only child who woke up most mornings fantasizing about building an alternate residence; something off of the ground, under the table, or in a box. More often than not, my vision included a fabulously lavish living quarters sitting 15 feet off of the ground in the branches of a sprawling and healthy oak tree. I can remember multiple attempts to solidify this dream using spare pieces of splintery wood found in the garage or the neighbor's yard, nails that were far too long, and an awkwardly heavy hammer. This usually resulted in scraped knees and an explantation to my mother opposed to an adventurous sleeping quarters, spy house, or hide-out.

I have recently discovered that above all else, my ultimate goal in life, the motivation behind every step I take, is to build myself a tree house. The location is yet to be determined, that will require extensive experience in foreign land, knowledge of geographical weather tendencies, and a detailed blueprint illustrating every childhood desire.


My mother recently showed me a source of wonderful inspiration for this project, something we now refer to as "the honeybee house", located in the high desert in central Mexico. I know very little about the man who built it and is now living there, but I fell in love with the style of this home and its simple presence in such a stunning natural environment. This house, and many others will serve as inspiration as I plan my own childhood getaway.

Why don't we take the ideas of children more seriously?

No comments:

Post a Comment